Marking the 10th Anniversary of Katrina
Posted by rpm
August 29th is the 10th anniversary of Katrina and the levee failure that flooded New Orleans. Here are two things that you can do to mark the moment 10 years later and encourage your fans to take action.
1. Raise Funds. Share the Katrina 10 Fund and encourage fans to make a donation of any size. Proceeds benefit RPM’s partners like Gulf Restoration Network and St. Bernard Project, as well as others. These beneficiaries represent two important aspects of preserving New Orleans—protecting and rebuilding the wetlands and bringing remaining musicians home.
Sample Social Media Language (copy or customize and post starting now through next week):
- Support NOLA. This week marks the 10th anniversary of Katrina and the levee failure that flooded New Orleans #Katrina10 http://bit.ly/1DIy2Qp
- I’m committed to the NOLA community for the long-haul. Join me & donate to support local orgs on #Katrina10 http://bit.ly/1DIy2Qp
- Rebuilding takes a long time. Join me in my commitment to the NOLA community for the long-haul. Donate to support local orgs via the #Katrina10 Fund (powered by RPM) https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/Katrina10
2. Uplift the Cultural Communities. From the earliest moments of Katrina and the levee failure in New Orleans until today, musicians have been a huge part of the response. Help uplift the cultural communities commitment to NOLA by posting songs and other creative responses to the events surrounding Katrina. Share directly from RPM’s social media pages over the coming week (Twitter & Facebook) or see below for sample social media language, images, and suggested timeline.
Sample Social Media Language and Timeline: copy or customize language and post with or without images (see below).
Starting 8/24 and through 9/2:
- From the earliest moments of Katrina & the levee failure in NOLA until today, musicians have been a huge part of the response. http://bit.ly/1Kie5wQ
- One of the ways musicians responded to the events surrounding Katrina & the levee failure was through song. #Katrina10 http://bit.ly/1NhTw9S
- Wanna support New Orleans? Buy some
#NOLA music. #Katrina10 http://bit.ly/1NFjtPY
- Wanna support New Orleans? Listen & support @wwoz_neworleans—NOLA’s community radio station. http://bit.ly/1hD81bH
- “George Bush doesn’t care about black people.” —KayneWest #10YearsAgoToday #Katrina10
Links to Important Articles:
- It Was New Orleans’ Musicians—Not Its Politicians—Who Saved the City Post-Katrina via The Daily Beast.
- Local musicians talk about how they evacuated, how they returned, and their perspective on the city 10 years later in OffBeat.
- Katrina Timeline by Think Progress.